Developer Samurai Punk and indie label Surprise Attack Games today announced that Screencheat, the chaotic party split-screen FPS where everyone is invisible, launches today for PlayStation4 and Xbox One.
Inspired by classic split-screen shooters such as Goldeneye and Halo, Screencheat takes the infamous practice of screencheating (Screencheat - verb: to look at your opponents' screens. See also screen peeking, screen looking) and turns this into the primary mechanic. Since all players are invisible, you must watch your opponents' screens to figure out where they are.
Screencheat supports up to eight players via both local* and online play. Online matches look just like local matches (you still see all the screens) and feature any combination of local and online players.
Screencheat's off-the-wall arsenal of one-hit kill weapons include a hobby horse, a car engine that shoots bouncing plasma balls and a teddy bear loaded with explosives. Maps are designed with simplified visuals, colour-coded areas and numerous landmarks to enable rapid locating of opponents.
Originally launched on PC in October 2014, the wait has been worth it for console gamers, as the PlayStation4 and Xbox One versions weigh in at more than double the size of the original release. Key features of the console release include:
- Up to eight player splitscreen.
- Local and online multiplayer with any mix of local and online players.
- AI bots - play solo vs AI or fill empty slots in multiplayer games.
- Nine modes for all vs. all, eight modes for teams and a time trial mode for those with no friends.
- 11 diverse maps optimised for screencheating using colour-coded areas and landmark objects.
- An arsenal of ten one-hit kill weapons from the dependable Blunderbuss to the geometry-penetrating Wall Hacker.
- A ridiculously granular level of customisation options. Create and save your own crazy game modes.
- Earn XP to level up and unlock ragdolls, mutators and weapon skins.
* Note - PlayStation4 supports 2-4 local players and 2-8 online players. Xbox One supports 2-8 players locally and online.